Technical Manager 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
Emploi.co is a smart recruitment engine leveraging data and technology to create instant, accurate matches between candidates and roles.
Our client is a leading horticultural production and marketing company, specializing in Fruits, mainly avocado, mango and passion fruits. We envision to be the leading dealer and exporter of organic certified Fruits in Kenya. They pride themselves in quality and reliability, positioning as a supplier of choice in the horticulture export sector.
PURPOSE OF JOB/Position
The purpose of the position is to provide overall technical and managerial oversight on the Fruits value chains (mainly avocado, mango and passion fruit) from the farm, post-harvesting, and pack-house processing.
The Technical Manager is a specialist in fruits, primarily avocado (as well as Mango and passion fruit), with managerial experience. The TM will be supported by a dedicated compliance officer hence practical skills in standard and compliance are not critical for the position
The Technical Manager will be overall responsible and lead in the identification of out-growers (farmers and farmer groups) and management of the value chain, including farm and post-harvesting management. Specifically, s/he will undertake the following roles and responsibilities;
1. Develop and oversee implementation of the strategy for integration of farmers and farmer groups in company production and supply chain in line with agreed targets;
2. Develop and oversee implementation of the training program for farmers to ensure new farmers are well inducted and trained agronomic practices for avocado, mango, and passion fruits production;
3. Lead in the identification and mobilization of farmers to join the Company’s production and supply chain;
4. Provide technical support, leadership, and supervision to the technical and production team to ensure agreed on work plans are implemented in an effective and efficient manner;
5. Keep an updated record on the actual status on production, providing a clear forecast on production (on quantities and quality);
6. In close consultation with operations on market forecast, develop harvesting program and coordinate all harvesting activities to ensure timely harvesting and delivery of produce;
7. Ensure proper harvesting practices are maintained at the farm level, based on acceptable handling practices.
8. Undertake any other assignment related to the business as may be assigned from time to time;
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Horticulture, agriculture, agronomy or related discipline/field
- Diploma plus two years of additional practical experience is acceptable
- At least 5 years’ practical experience in the avocado value chain is required. Technical and practical expertise in avocado is the production and post-harvest management is key and obligatory for this position.
- Practical experience and management mango and passion fruit production and post-harvest is desirable.
- Current network with farmer and farmer groups in related value chains is a distinct advantage;
- At least 3 years’ practical managerial experience, with strong skills in planning, implementation and team leadership is required;
- Good knowledge and experience in market quality standards, specifically related to avocado, mango and passion fruits;
- Good computer skills with advanced Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel,)
Core values and required skills:
- Good planning skills
- Strong interpersonal management skills
- Organized and able to meet tight deadlines
- Highly reliable, dependable and trustworthy personality,
- Client-oriented, demonstrating proactive communication
- Team player and good team management skills
Performance appraisal shall be done annually by the end of the calendar year based on clear set guidelines and company policies based on agreed-on objectives. A mid-term Performance review shall be held by mid-year to review progress.