Student Affairs Officer At Kenya Red Cross
Student Affairs Officer At Kenya Red Cross 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
BIHC (Boma International Hospitality College) was established in 2015 to address an increasing gap in the provision of qualified staff within the hospitality industry in Kenya and regionally. In 2016, BIHC partnered with the Business and Hotel Management School (BHMS), a world-class hospitality school in Lucerne, Switzerland. This partnership paved the way for a dynamic educational and training approach that allows the undergraduate students to complete their 2-year diplomas in Hotel Management or Culinary Arts at our campus in Nairobi and their final bachelor year at BHMS in Switzerland.
The BIHC curriculum maintains a strong emphasis on Swiss educational traditions of balancing theoretical and practical training and this has made BIHC graduates the preferred candidates in the job market because from the onset, they perform beyond their employers’ expectations, thus saving employers, the time and money that is usually spent to train new employees. Our campus is located within the Boma Hotels complex and with an increase in demand for quality education throughout Africa, we take pride in offering world-class training and student life in a 5-star hotel environment.
BIHC is fully owned by the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS)
Title: Student Affairs Officer
Reporting to: Principal
Job Location: Nairobi
Reporting to the Principal the Student Affairs Officer is responsible for carrying out the school’s Non-academic and behavioural programs and serving as a liaison between the college administration and student organizations, such as student council.
Charged with the responsibility of promoting the college's mission by providing effective student services leadership, management, strategic direction, policy development, and oversight of all student service departments.
As a professional educator the role holder understands and responds to the challenges presented by today’s diverse student population. He|she provides proactive leadership to engage all stakeholders in the delivery of programs and services to support the students’ academic achievement, personal and social development. He/She will work cooperatively with the principal, faculty, staff, students and parents towards a positive school climate.
- Lead Student Affairs unit that keeps the student at the center of what we do and why we do it;
- Interpret and implement BIHC student hand book & policies and regulations in student affairs functional area.
- Ensure student needs are recognized and addressed through collaboration between students, departments, and faculty;
- Engage in strategic planning to set operational goals and initiatives;
- Develop practices to coordinate programs, projects and activities to ensure efficiency and increase effectiveness.
- Demonstrate accountability and ownership for college performance metrics and identify opportunities for innovation and elevated performance;
- Lead and/or oversee programs that increase student success (persistence, progression, and completion);
- Responsible for students' welfare, from entry/admission to exit/graduation.
- Responsible for Individual Counselling of students in various aspects and group counseling on selection of social activities and use of leisure time to mold behavior and guiding them to access sources of specialist advice and support as appropriate.
- Maintain a standard of student behavior designed to command respect and minimize college and classroom interruptions.
- Responsible for development, scheduling and administration of student engagement, co-curricular and entertainment programmes to prevent overlapping.
- Responsible for Student Orientation/Induction programmes with support from other members of staff.
- Responsible for spearheading mentoring programs through talks and career counsel in readiness for employment.
- Responsible for management of the Alumni programme for the college.
- Supporting the students PAE assessment process in consultation with the lecturers and encouraging academic success through the Head of Academic Affairs.
- Making references and recommendations letters for employment of students who have successfully completed their courses.
- Responsible for preparing and publishing of student affairs calendar.
- Developing, administering and monitoring the Students Affairs department budget including reviewing and authorization of all expenditure within the approved budget.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
Key Skills and Personal Attributes
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing and delivering strategic plans to ensure future institutions success
- Demonstrated people leadership , management skills and counselling skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and partnership building skills for working in a complex multi stakeholder environment
- Ability and experience of developing and leading significant institutional change
- Commercial ability and success in generating institutional growth
- Excellent judgement with the ability to balance risks and opportunities
- Ability to resolve conflicts
- An absolute commitment to upholding the College Values. In particular, commitment:
- to prioritize the needs of students
- to act with integrity, authenticity & respect at all times
- to secure continuous improvement and excellence
- to focus on coaching and developing others to reach their full potential & Demonstrated commitment to continuous personal development
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A master degree Psychology & Counselling/Education Psychology or equivalent with at least 5 years’ experience or managing students at an institution of higher learning,
- Membership to a professional body is a must
- Demonstrate continuing professional development
- Sound knowledge and understanding of best practice locally and internationally in regards to teaching, learning, assessment and quality improvement
- Successful and motivational leadership, with an inclusive leadership style, and with experience of leading change
- Ability to develop and set strategic direction
- A deep understanding of, commitment to and involvement in hospitality Industry
- Successful record of developing and sustaining partnerships and networks with external organizations and other bodies locally and internationally
- Thorough understanding and experience of quality improvement processes in learning institutions
Deadline: Monday, 10th May 2021.