Sonographer 1 PositionMarie Stopes
Marie Stopes International is an international non-governmental organization providing contraception and safe abortion services in 37 countries around the world.
Reporting to: Centre Manager
Probationary Period: 3 Months
Job Purpose: Reporting to the Centre Manager, the Sonographer job exists to perform quality ultrasound examinations to clients and make quality reports to assist the physician with the diagnosis and treatment.
The Sonographer’s role and responsibilities include providing diagnostic medical sonography services and its various clinical specialties.
The Sonographer’ activities are performed consistent with their education and training, and in accordance with MSI policies, procedures, and applicable professional standards.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our Goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and MSI’s mission of ensuring the individual’s right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE.
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to Marie Stopes International global core values:
- results orientated
- Review client medical history and supporting clinical information and communicate with the client in a manner appropriate to the client’s ability to understand the procedure.
- Conduct client clinical assessment and perform the diagnostic medical sonography examination ordered by the supervising physician in accordance with professional and facility protocols.
- Review examination images, synthesize examination results, and prepare the preliminary findings.
- Apply independent judgment during the sonography examination to ensure that appropriate anatomical, pathological, and clinical conditions are accurately captured in the examination images.
- Assume responsibility for the safety of the client during the sonographic examination.
- Maintain client privacy and confidentiality in accordance with privacy laws (e.g., HIPAA) and facility policies, and procedures.
- Use proper client positioning tools, devices, equipment adjustment, and ergonomically correct scanning techniques to ensure client comfort and safety, and to prevent compromised data acquisition and musculoskeletal injury to the sonographer.
- Generate demand for ultrasound services by collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to drive client volumes.
- Prepare exam room and ultrasound equipment to conduct sonography examinations in accordance with infections disease, sterilization, and client safety protocols, policies, and procedures.
- As necessary, acquire additional ultrasound imaging to facilitate optimum diagnostic results for the interpreting physician.
- Identify and document any limitations to the sonography examination and escalate as appropriate.
- Assume responsibility for the preventive maintenance for ultrasound equipment to ensure it operates at optimal level at all times
- Operate the Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Diploma in Ultrasound, Medical Imaging Sciences or Radiography from a recognized institution.
- At least two years working experience as a sonographer in a reputable hospital/medial facility.
- Registration with the relevant regulatory or professional body if applicable with a current practicing license.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of relevant legislations.
Soft skills required for the job:
- Communication skills
- Observation skills
- Analytical skills
- Team player
Attitude / Motivation:
Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others.
There are 13 key behaviours that MSI encourages in all employees and they are defined below:
- Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
- Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
- Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
- Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
- Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
- Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
Focus on Learning
- Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
- Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
- Drive and determination to deliver results
- Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
- Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
- Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
- Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other