Research Officer At International Livestock Research Institute (ilri)
Research Officer At International Livestock Research Institute (ilri) 1 PositionInternational Livestock Research Institute
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to improve food security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for better and more sustainable use of livestock. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future
This position is supported by ICARS and in collaboration with the European Committee for Antimicrobial Susceptibility testing (EUCAST) to establish an Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (AST) Center of Excellence and conduct regular trainings on AST to individuals from other laboratories, and to provide technical support for troubleshooting on an ongoing basis.
- Develop standard operating practices (SOPs) for AST for different bacterial species (human and veterinary)
- Implement AST quality control systems
- Organize trainings and workshops in phenotypic AST
- Develop materials and a curriculum for trainings and workshops on AST
Evaluate and calibrate AST methods against International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) reference methods
- Contribute to writing project reports, journal publications and other research outputs e.g. datasets, blog posts, etc.
- Co-ordinate the Microbiology Lab and ensure all equipment are in good working order
- Master’s in science in Medical Microbiology or similar relevant subject area
- Good theoretical background in microbiology, antimicrobial resistance, and molecular biology techniques
- Three years in a related or similar position
- Experience and knowledge in microbiological and antimicrobial susceptibility assays, and molecular biology techniques
- Experience working with Microsoft Office software e.g. Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Developing laboratory SOPs
- Prior experience in lab management and lab supervision would be advantageous.
- Basic bioinformatic skills would be beneficial
- Demonstrate ability to produce high-quality written material in English is essential
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya
Terms of Appointment
This position is at job level HG 13. The position is a 2.5 years contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances