Regional Agribusiness Manager
Regional Agribusiness Manager 1 PositionEast African Breweries
East African Breweries Limited (EABL) is East Africa's leading branded alcohol beverage business with an outstanding collection of brands that range from beer, spirits and adult non-alcoholic drinks (ANADs) reaffirming our standing as a total adult beverage (TAB) company.
Job Description :
Reports To: Head of Agribusiness
- Sorghum, Barley and Malt are the principal raw materials used in the manufacture of beer and East African Maltings Limited has the strategic role of providing competitively priced brewing raw materials to meet EABL supply requirements.
- East African Maltings intent is to support both EABL Supply and Demand’s strategic activities, protect the quality of our brands, support innovation and creation of competitive advantage for the EABL group within the Eastern African Region.
- This role works closely with the following, Head of Agribusiness, Maltsters EAML Staff, Outsources Service Providers, Farmers, Aggregators, Farmer Groups, Research Officers, Government Agencies, Kenya Revenue Authority Officials and Agro-chemical companies. The role also coordinates with County Governments, Security personnel, Contractors, Transporters and Agricultural Officers.
- In sorghum, there is a high demand for high quality white sorghum to be used in the value for money beer segment that must be produced within the stipulated legal framework to comply with traceability and local sourcing requirements.
- This role will require the management and coordination of multiple players in the value chain i.e small scale growers, aggregators, transporters, NGO and inputs suppliers in order to achieve success.
- In Barley, there is high competition for good farms and farmers. There are new players in the market creating challenges in managing growers to deliver as per contracts
- Navigating difficult terrain and travelling long distances to reach the farms where barley/sorghum is grown.
- This position works within the Agricultural team, Grain aggregators, Farmers and is responsible for ensuring farmers produce Sorghum, Barley and Seed Barley.
Purpose of Role:
- To engage growers, aggregators and farmer groups to produce high quality Sorghum, within the stipulated legal framework to comply with traceability and local sourcing requirements in order to meet the brewing requirements of EABL.
- To engage Barley and Seed Barley growers to supply high quality Maltable sorghum
- Recruit adequate farmers and suitable land to ensure delivery of agreed sorghum and/or malting barley quantities.
- Oversee the production process of grain sorghum to ensure that sorghum is produced within the stipulated legal framework and complies with traceability pillars in order to comply with the legal requirements currently in place.
- Advise the farmers on the best production techniques to achieve high yields and meet brewing quality requirements
- Contract all growers, ensure that mandatory Know your Business Partner (KYBP) documentation is complete and minimize any potential exposure by the company in failing to comply with this.
- Carry out crop assessments, prepare crops reports, determine potential yields, to assist management determine adequacy or deficits, and make appropriate decisions
- Recruit adequate harvesting contractors and transporters and supervise the entire harvesting and delivery process.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture or a related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience in cereal production plus exposure to one complete Barley/Sorghum growing season.
- Knowledge of cereal production is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of 1S0 quality management systems
- Knowledge of the machinery involved in production operations like planting, spraying, and harvesting.