Pd Intern – Food Systems & Supply Chain Strategy At World Food Programme (wfp)
Pd Intern – Food Systems & Supply Chain Strategy At World Food Programme (wfp) 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
Brief description of Supply Chain function within Kenya CO:
Kenya programmes have witnessed a decline in delivery of food assistance over the years. Over the last six years, the volume of food received at the main point of entry which is Mombasa has decreased by 34 percent. This means a gradual reduction of large-scale in-kind delivery form of food in Kenya with a shift to cash-based transfer programmes, technical support and capacity building of the Kenya Government and different supply chain actors within the Food Systems spectrum.
Within this context, there are newer frontiers for the Supply Chain function in the Kenya Country Strategic Plan to leverage the supply chain expertise built in the last 20 years in Kenya and transform it into a programmatic value proposition within the Food Systems Strategy to ensure that WFP plays a pivotal role in aiding the Government of and people of Kenya achieve Vision 2030 and Zero Hunger goals.
One of the challenges in reducing the hunger gap in Kenya has been the inefficiencies in the food systems that lead to high food prices, insufficient market supply (particularly for fresh foods) and lower incomes for producers. Agricultural value chains tend to be unresponsive to farmers’ needs. Some of the reasons of supply inefficiencies that largely affect the food systems are:
- Limited storage
- Transport capacity
- Road accessibility and access especially in the rainy season
- Poor storage practices
- Weak quality practices
There exist significant and potential opportunities for WFP Supply Chain to contribute towards reduction of the hunger gap in Kenya and strategically contribute to build resilience food systems.
- Supervisor: Head of Supply Chain
- Unit: Supply Chain
- Duration of internship: 6 months
- Expected Start Date: June 2021
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Supply Chain, the candidate will perform the following duties:
- Support the definition of the Supply Chain Strategy to build sustainable and resilient Food Systems in Kenya.
- Enhance the implementation of the procurement plan to increase the local purchases from Small Holder Farmers to support Kenyan Programmes and export to other WFP operations in the region.
- Assist in defining a strategy to engage our local purchase upstream partners i.e. AMPATH/CGA to ensure food safety and quality standards of all Small Holder purchases.
- Define the action plan to link identified Small Holder Farmers to markets and to nutritious producers.
- Strengthen the activities to increase the local production of nutritious foods, bringing new suppliers and enhancing their capacity to fill WFP demand and the local population demand to contribute to a diverse and nutritious diet. Kenya.
- Contribute to build the business cases and plans for the supply chain innovative solutions to reduce post-harvest losses and increase the efficiency of the different supply chains and value chains.
- Contribute to build a case study to pilot block chain within Kenya to support Small Holder Farmers.
- Measure the impact of above supply chain activities in the implementation of WFP Kenya Food Systems Strategy and recommend the high impact activities with concreate outcomes within a 1 to 5 years horizon.
Qualifications and experience
- Currently enrolled with in a graduate programme and have attended classes in the past 12 months, or a recent graduate from a graduate programme (within six months prior to the application to the internship programme). Preferred areas of study are Supply Chain Management, Economics, Agricultural Engineering, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics
- Excellent command of English; Working knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Proficiency in database management
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Good communicator, with excellent oral and writing skills
- Team player and able to integrate in diverse teams through all people-related activities that include members from a variety of backgrounds, experiences, positions, or country assignments.
- Innovative and capable to propose creative solutions
- Focus on getting results
- Accountable, responsible, and willing to improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and value of service and assistance to beneficiaries and value for money for our donors.
- Able to connect and work across WFP units, creates strong, collaborative relationships with key stakeholders and partners.
Closing Date : 2nd May, 2021