National Program Officer (npo) At Embassy Of Sweden In Kigali
National Program Officer (npo) At Embassy Of Sweden In Kigali 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
The Embassy of Sweden is a longstanding development partner to Rwanda. The objective of Sweden’s international development cooperation is to create the conditions to improve the lives of people living in poverty and oppression. The current development cooperation strategy with Rwanda 2020–2024, has a focus on the following support areas (i) Human rights, democracy, the rule of law and gender equality, (ii) Environmentally sustainable development and (iii) Inclusive economic development. In addition, Sweden supports research and higher education in Rwanda.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the Embassy of Sweden
Position: National Program Officer (NPO)
Duty Station: Kigali, Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda
Reports to: Head of Development Cooperation
About the Embassy
The Embassy of Sweden in Rwanda has 20 employees, of which 8 are sent out staff from Sweden. Its overall tasks include political and economic reporting, trade promotion and the implementation of Sweden’s development cooperation with Rwanda.
The Embassy is now looking for an engaged, energetic and experienced individual to fill the position as National Program Officer (NPO) to work specifically in the thematic areas of democracy, human rights and gender equality.
The Embassy constitutes a dynamic work environment with a high degree of team work, adaptive management and continuous learning. Openness and transparency, trust, courage, togetherness and respect are values that characterize the Embassy. Staff is expected to master a high degree of self leadership and results-based management.
The NPO will focus on the thematic area of democracy, human rights, rule of law and gender equality. He/she will manage programs, in both leading and supporting roles, as part of the development cooperation team. This includes management of the whole project cycle – analyzing, formulating, assessing and monitoring of programs.
Programs within the support area focus on, among other, sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), media, participatory governance, democratic accountability, and peace building.
- To manage, support and contribute to the identification, formulation and appraisal of new programs in the areas of human rights, the rule of law and gender equality.
- Manage, support and follow-up on program implementation incl. compliance with financial-, program- and reporting requirements.
As NPO you will also be expected to:
- Participate in the operational and strategic planning of the Swedish development cooperation with Rwanda.
- Analyse economic, political and other development in the Rwandan context and to explore potential areas of intervention and new ways of working/methodological development.
- Apply and maintain a close monitoring regarding possible suspicions of irregularities, and act to prevent and stop corruption within areas of responsibility.
- Establish good working relationships with partners and to contribute to the Embassy’s reporting and overall embassy work where deemed necessary.
- Contribute to communication of results and political developments.
Candidates will be considered if they have the following qualifications:
- University degree with a strong academic track-record in Political Science, Social Science, Law, Economics, Management or other related areas. Master’s degree in the related area will be an advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience working with international development cooperation of which at least three years in program/project management related to the planning and implementation of programs in an Embassy, international or multilateral organizations, international non-governmental organizations but also renown local CSOs
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in the areas of democracy, human rights, justice, governance, peace building and/or gender equality in the Rwandan context.
- Knowledge of political analysis, advocacy work and communication
- Proven self-leadership skills. Demonstrated pro-active and solution-oriented and positive work attitude.
- An excellent proficiency in English, with the ability to express yourself clearly, both orally and in writing.