Finance Manager At Jane Goodall Institute (jgi)
Finance Manager At Jane Goodall Institute (jgi) 1 PositionEmploi Recruitment
Opened in 1991, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) Uganda country program office’s mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate critical mass of people who will help to create a better world, other animals, and our shared environment. We design and implement programs to ensure the conservation of chimpanzees and their habitats throughout Uganda and to build effective collaboration between local communities, governments, researchers, and conservation practitioners. We focus our efforts on increasing the capacity of local government and forest-adjacent communities to manage protected areas, engage communities in natural resource management sustainable livelihoods, and educate students about chimpanzees, wildlife, and sustainable environmental conservation.
The Finance Manager will manage and account for day-to-day cash inflows and outflows ensuring proper systems and procedures are being followed and accounting tasks are completed in an efficient and accountable manner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• To maintain accounting/finance system in line with JGI policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements.
• To develop and review activity budgets.
• Maintain effective communications of finance and accounting policies and procedures ensuring staff understand and follow established procedures.
• Undertake monitoring of the internal control systems.
• Be responsible for tracking petty cash, keeping appropriate records, and maintaining reconciliations.
• Prepare monthly reports that show budget vs. actual for the Uganda program team to support timely and appropriate decision making.
• Ensure all payment requests are appropriately authorized, accurate and in compliance with policies, procedures, as well as approved budgets.
• Ensure all Navision entries are complete, timely and well organized and adhere to standards required by internal and external auditors.
• Ensure all supporting documents are correct and appropriately filed including original signed contracts, technical reports, financial reports, and relevant correspondences both in digital and hard copies.
• Ensure that all imprests are retired on time and have complete back-up documentation.
• Provide accurate and timely monthly and periodic financial reports to management and JGI — US in conformity with established Institute policies and procedures.
• Ensure compliance in procurement, logistics, inventory management and administration based on set policies and procedures.
• Ensure that all tax obligations for JGI are paid in accordance with the Uganda Tax law, including those of third-party consultants and contractors; and
• Other tasks assigned as necessary according to project and organizational needs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• The applicant must hold a degree in Finance and Accounts, Business Administration, commerce, Business Computing or in other relevant fields.
• At least four years of experience in project accounting
• Planning, time management, and coordination.
• Highly entrepreneurial, energetic, and disciplined.
• Teamwork and virtual support.
• Practice confidentiality, honesty, and integrity.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Navision and QuickBooks accounting software packages and MS Office applications.
• Strong verbal and communications skills.
• Computer literacy with proficient user of Microsoft Office, advanced level in Excel; and
• Committed to JGI values.
Qualifications – Preferred
• Professional Maturity — Maintains a positive outlook, motivates self and team to work constructively under pressure. Responds resourcefully when challenges arise and accepts responsibility for actions, learning and change. Arrives at work and appointments on time.
• Analytical Thinking — Builds a logical approach to address problems or opportunities; manages the situation at hand by drawing on own knowledge and experience base and calling on other references and resources as necessary. Approaches analysis with an unbiased, impartial view.
• Oral & Written Communication — Clearly and effectively expresses ideas, thoughts, and concepts verbally and in written or graphic form, using correct and appropriate grammar, organization and structure, and effective presentation media and techniques. Uses appropriate media and approach to present ideas formally to individuals or groups with required impact.
• Decision-Maker — Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills. Capable of directing and managing change, inspiring teamwork, and high performing teams.
• Strategic Planning & Integration — Demonstrates the knowledge and capacity to foster development of a common vision. Identifies a path to meet strategic goals by developing short and long-range plans that are appropriately comprehensive, creative, realistic, and effective. Exhibits leadership in integrating planning efforts across work units.